About Adventure Learning Centre & Camp
Adventure Learning Centre and Camp is a nonprofit para-church organization serving Bahamian school children, local church groups and organizations, and mission teams coming from abroad to serve the Bahamian people. We are located in the South Beach area of New Providence Island, The Bahamas.
Statement of Faith
- We believe in one God, eternally existing as a trinity of persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, equal in personality, knowledge, power, authority, holiness and love.
- We believe in Jesus Christ, the virgin born Son of Man, truly man, yet truly God. We believe in His sinless nature and life, His substitutionary, sacrificial death on the cross, and His bodily resurrection and ascension.
- We believe in the Deity and personhood of the Holy Spirit, equal with the Father and the Son. We believe His ministry to the world is to convict of sin, righteousness and of judgement. We believe His ministry to the believer is to regenerate, indwell, baptize into the Body of Christ, sanctify, en-gift, empower and direct.
- We believe the Bible is the inerrant, infallible Word of God and is the sole source of authority for doctrine and conduct.
- We believe man was created in the likeness and image of God, innocent in nature and having the faculty of free will. Through disobedience man fell from his sinless state and became sinful in nature and practice, and in need of grace and salvation. In his lost and ruined state, man could not save himself.
- We believe that God has provided the means for mans redemption through the voluntary, substitutionary, atoning death of Jesus Christ. We believe that through faith alone in the finished work of Christ, man can be forgiven, reconciled to God, and justified righteous in Gods sight.
- We believe the church is the Body of Christ, made up of all who confess Him as Saviour and Lord; who through repentance of their sins, and acceptance of His gift of eternal life, enter into the family of God through the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit.
- We believe the head of the Church, the Lord Jesus Christ, gave the church two ordinances, water baptism and the Lords Supper. Neither of these is a means of grace, but each is designed to be a public testimony to the believers identification with their Lord.
- We believe in the personal and visible return of our Lord Jesus Christ for His church. It is our duty therefore to live in readiness for His coming.
- We believe in the resurrection of the just to eternal glory and the resurrection of the unjust to eternal judgement.
The adventure began in 1986 when missionaries Randy and Kimberly Grebe had a vision for reaching out to school children in the Bahamas. As a young, impressionable boy Randy experienced a school outing at a day camp in Wisconsin where he was given the opportunity to learn in a hands on environment The memory of that day is connected many years later in the Bahamas with a Christian ministers dream to utilize government-leased Crown Land for an educational program ministering to Nassau children. The merging of these divinely inspired visions by Randy Grebe and Pastor Hesketh Johnson provided the framework for planning what is now the Adventure Learning Centre.
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain" Psalm 127:1 was the guiding scripture as the applications and permits waited to be approved. After four years of in-school visits, youth group outreaches, and tireless commitment, the Grebes were granted 3 acres by the Bahamian government. In January, 1992 the ground breaking construction of the Adventure Learning Centre began. Financial donations and volunteer labor came in from seven countries. The initial phases of development included the barn, animal shelters, the pond and bridge, and the 30 observation tower with a 45 super slide.
Vision became a reality on September 13, 1993, with the official endorsement of the Ministry of Education and a Grand Opening ceremony. The Adventure Learning Centre began reaching thousands of children through field trips to the islands only outdoor education program. The first group of students arrived on October 18, 1993. Initially, programs were designed for fifth and sixth graders. Today all ages from toddlers to grade 12 benefit from our facilities.
Although the ALC is generally not open to the public, it has periodically offered special family-oriented events called Family Fun Days. These began in 1993 and continue on now with Fun Days celebrating Easter Monday, Discovery/Heroes Day in October and the annual Christmas Lights Extravaganza.
On December 3, 1993 The ALC was given ownership of the facility formerly known as Joy Bible Mission, located just five hundred yards from the centre. Today, this 10 acre wooded property is known as the Adventure Learning Camp.
In 1998 the Media Center, including a 24 Planetarium, was completed for the purpose of expanding its program to reach both primary and high school students. To date this is the only Planetarium in the Bahamas. It continues to be an exciting opportunity to present astronomy based curriculum sharing the wonders of the universe and its starry host while including the message of salvation as scripture itself declares the heavens declare the glory of God.
The ALC property is adjoined with several acres of indigenous coppice forest and mangrove wetlands that reach to the ocean. Over a half mile of nature trails wind through the whiteland and blackland coppice forest where students discover the beauty and importance of these scarce natural resources. A newly constructed 350 ft boardwalk into the wetlands was completed in January 2014. The boardwalk now allows the students to go where only their imaginations had gone before, directly into the wetlands. An associated two story wetlands observation tower literally gives them a bird’s eye view over the vast raw beauty of God’s creation. Thousands of people, from local bird watchers to school children, enjoy the native wetlands and coppice areas we are striving to conserve.
The Adventure Learning Camp has 5 cabins that sleep 80 people, a dining room and kitchen facility and a newly constructed bathhouse. The facility meets the needs of the short term mission teams that are seeking to serve the under privileged, lost and hurting people in the Bahamas with the hope only found in Christ. As it was over 20 years ago, today we hold fast to Gods unchanging word as we move forward. "Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain." Psalm 127:1
We exist to bring the message of Jesus Christ and His redemptive work on the cross to the people of the Bahamas. It is our desire to see the families of this country come to Christ, and we believe it starts with the children. Through each child’s imagination and curiosity, the Adventure Learning Centre provides them with hands-on experience to discover God’s creation. In Matthew 19:14, Jesus said, “Let the little children come unto me, and do not forbid them; for such is the Kingdom of Heaven.”